West Coast Women’s Golf Association
Club Representative Meeting
January 22, 2018
A meeting of the Board with Club Representatives of the West Coast Women’s Golf Association was held on January 22, 2018 at Tampa Palms Golf Club at 3:15PM.
President : Vivian Herklotz, TPC Prestancia
1st Vice President: Judy Marks, Lake Jovita, Membership Directory
2nd Vice President: Kooky Lucas, Black Diamond, Schedule
Treasurer: Pat Rogers, Tampa Palms, Dues and Prizes
Secretary: Margie Irvin, Palma Ceia, Minutes and Trophies
Directors: Carrie Bell, Innisbrook, Sisi Hedges, Eaglebrook
Ex-Officio: Becky Miles
Sunshine Lady: Kathy Conroy, East Lake Woodlands
Board members and Representatives present were introduced to the group.
Ms. Herklotz discussed several issues with those present: The beginning of 2017-18 season was very difficult with seven cancellations mostly weather related. Our first event of 2018 was Couples/Member-Member hosted by Carrrie Bell, Innisbrook, was a huge success! We had 40 teams playing. Let’s hope Mother Nature will be on our side enabling us to finish this season with a bang.
This year’s Brassies are hosting the Challenge on March 12 at Harbor Hills CC in Lady Lake, FL ($55). I am happy to announce that Becky Miles, Rocky Point, will be our fearless leader.
To aid in preventing future scheduled day cancellations, the following options were discussed:
1. Play dates should no longer be held on days the host club is closed.
2. Clubs that have food minimums: solution: offer 2 choices for lunch off of your menu when they register.
3. Clubs that have a player minimums: Carrolwood 50, Cheval 20, Cypress Run 50, Lakewood Ranch 40-60, Palma Ceia 30, Temple Terrace 48, we can turn them into event days ie. Guest day, Member-Member, Couples etc.
4. Trying out a different format: Pat Roger, Tampa Palms, suggested having a regional team play within WCWGA. North, Central and South team event.
5. We need to do a better job of promoting our events. Please send me a few lines about your club that I can send out to promote your play date. A little information on places to stay in your area may be helpful as well.
6. A discussion was held regarding raising the maximum index for current members to be in place prior to the annual renewal.It was requested that this item be placed on the next Board meeting agenda.
7. There was a discussion of the factors thought to be causing low attendance on various play dates.Price, distance to travel, start times, format and the weather were all discussed as possible problems.
8. It was offered as a possible solution to prevent cancellations that the WCWGA play on the same day as the host’s ladies day.
We have had over 110 members out of about 170 participate in 2017-18 so far. 36 have played 1x , 32 played 2x, 23 played 3x, 13 played 4x, 2 played 5x, 3 played 6x and 7x, 2 have played 8x and 9x. These numbers are in line with the past few years. Ms. Herklotz suggested that WCWGA should continue to schedule 1-2 play dates a month when possible. We currently have Mother Lassing, Championship, Couples and Member-Member as “majors;” I have had some requests for another Couples Tournament, so Kooky Lucas is working on implementing that. When you are sending me your information for your play date. Please include as much information as possible, cost, deadline, guest day, start time, promo info on your club etc. Let’s finish this season out strong!
Judy Marks reported that she is investigating an “App” to be put in place for WCWGA members to easier access information that is currently on our website.The reported cost will be $150.
It was suggested that threesomes be scheduled instead of foursomes whenever possible to accelerate the speed of play.
Ms.Lucas discussed the schedule and provided open months that require a club sign up.
Club Representatives were reminded to quickly get new member information and monies collected and submitted to Pat Rogers.Also, please collect the annual membership dues renewal monies in April to be submitted to her in May.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:05PM